“Keystone habit – A habit that lead to development of multiple habit.”
A man is nothing more than a series of his habits strung together like pearls of a necklace. If you find yourself overeating, that’s habit. If you are a night owl, that’s habit. If people talk less or more with you, it’s because how your habits had an impact on them.
It’s all about habits that separate a rich from a poor and a productive from a loser. Habits are categorized as: bad habits and good habits. And as a proverb goes on to say, ‘Good habits are as addictive as bad habits but much more rewarding.’ So, the key to a healthy life is to develop good habits rather than bad ones.
90% of the people break their New Year Resolution within the first 15 days of the year.
If you feel that you’ve stuck on the same life — unproductive, aimless and depressed — then this blog will reinvent you. A year ago, I was in the same condition — helpless, unhealthy and miserable. It was after reading several self help books that I learned how habits control ones life.
Within a few months of applying keystone habits, I overcame all my bad habits. Now, I’m productive and healthy. I feel more confident. And the best part is I’m enjoying this face of my life. Below I’ve concluded the keystone habits, if developed, will become the blessings for you.
1. It’s Therapeutic
“Exercise is really important to me – it’s therapeutic. So if I’m ever feeling tense or stressed or like I’m about to have a meltdown, I’ll put on my iPod and head to the gym or out on a bike ride along Lake Michigan with the girls.” – Michelle Obama
Benefits of taking a walk around a park or going to gym are unavoidable. Even exercising for thrice a week can benefit you in innumerable ways. Exercise not only helps in controlling weight and in combating diseases, but also in increasing productivity and stress-management.
- Regular exercising leads to multiple habits. Studies found that the people who include exercise in their daily routine begin to develop better eating habits.
- The people who do exercise in the morning become more patient and remain active throughout the day.
- Exercise releases endorphin which create feelings of happiness and euphoria.
- Regular exercise improves positive self-image.
2. Know How To Knock
“The world is ready to give the secret if we only know how to knock, how to give it the necessary blow. The strength and force of the blow come through concentration.” – Swami Vivekananda
Right Mindfulness is what I learned after studying Buddhism. Right Mindfulness (Samyak Smriti) is the seventh practice in the Noble Eightfold Paths. These Noble Eightfold Paths are the part of The Four Noble Truth, the cream of the Buddha’s teachings.
The Sanskrit word of Mindfulness is, smriti, means remember. It is to know how to remember the present, the self, and remain attentive throughout the day.
You can be mindful by concentrating on your breaths. Mindfulness can be applied anytime while walking, sitting, and even working.
Mindfulness makes you conscious about everything happening inside and outside the world. It has been over a couple of years, I’m practicing mindfulness. Quite frankly, I feel more connected with the world inside as well as outside.
Through the habit of right mindfulness, you become more focused. Right mindfulness may also awake your intellect.
3. Learn a Little More
“Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo
Learning a little more for every day can inspire you to develop many habits. How little? Just an hour. You could read for an hour or listen to audio book. Remember that:
- Knowledge is power. The more knowledge you have the more rich you mentally become. You begin to change your perception towards everything.
- Books are the support to our wellbeing and with the wisdom of great authors and leaders, we create our own journey.
- Reading plays a vital role in transforming the life. Spend at least one hour in reading or hearing a book.
4. Why Cry Over Spill Milk?
“We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.” – George Bernard Shaw
Many people are still holding on to their past. They always seem to be overwhelmed. Something unpleasant had happened with them which is weakening their emotional strength.
These emotions are unhealthy and may cause people to suffer from physical pain. The pain may be stuck somewhere in the shoulders or in the back or in the legs. The only key to let this emotion out of the body is through practicing the rule of letting go.
Take a deep breath, and as you exhale, let your arms, shoulders, legs, face relax. Release your past and negative emotions.
You can practice letting go once a day to see the change. This habit will develop other phases of your life too.
By reflecting upon your mistakes of the past, you learn from it. Moreover, you become more optimistic and spiritual.
5. Before Sleep, Plan
Scheduling the day a night before can save your fresh morning hours. As you write down your goals, you feel a sense of eagerness to complete them. Some of the other benefits of this keystone habit:
- You do not have to jog your brain to recall what has to be done.
- It’ll help you to set priorities. You begin to focus on the important tasks.
- As you decide to complete the important task first, you feel a sense of satisfaction. So you become more productive.
6. Close Your Account For Toxic People
“If you allow people to make more withdraws than deposits in your life you will be out of balance and in the negative. Know when to close the account.” – Unknown
Law of attraction states whatever you think most certainly will appear in your life. Life is nothing but the reflection of your thoughts. To be more positive, clear out toxic thoughts and people.
- Do not gossip. It can ruin reputation and friendship, and may also lead to relational aggression.
- Do not get into arguments. Arguments encourage you to be more negative.
- Ignore negative comment. Just say ‘Ok’ or ‘Next time, I’ll take care of it.’
- Go with constructive criticism. If you do not like someone for any reason deal with him/her with constructive criticism.
- At last, to develop this keystone habit, respectfully avoid negative people.
By making these keystone habits a part of your lifestyle you can see the change in yourself within a few months. In the beginning, you can choose one habit and take the resolution to develop it.
After a couple of weeks, when you begin to feel comfortable with your new routine, you can include other habits as well. You only need the will power to begin your journey. Believe that you have all the intelligence and willpower within you to transform your life.
Do you practice any of the keystone habits mentioned above? You can share it in the comments below. Also, if you like reading the post, share it with your friends.